Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Heartfelt Message

Sent: Tue, 6 May 2008 6:21 pm
Subject: Laine//Frodo

Laine,

After all you’ve been through and all you’ve experienced, let me just say that you are more of an idol and hero to me know than you ever were before. You’re everything a hero should be—wise, talented, courageous, strong and most of all yourself. No one needs a cape to be a hero, but in your case a saddle and a steed would do pretty well; as it does for many of your other fans.

First off, I just wanted to say thank you for doing what you’ve done—riding and just being around horses. It makes you who you are, and horses can defiantly be better friends and mentors than a lot of our actual human companions; that I know from experience. And if you’ve heard the quote: “Horses are the most agreeable friends. They always listen and they never pass any criticisms,” I think you’d agree. There is nothing quite like a horse.

Second, I want you to know that all of us are out here to support you through not only this time, but for all the times to come—whether it be in the Olympics or in a winner’s circle—we have all realized through your strength and uncanny equestrian abilities that you are not like many others. You’re one-of-a-kind, and you should use that to the best of your abilities. We (being friends, family or just strangers,) all love you, and are rooting for a full recovery as well as for you to be in the saddle again soon enough so we can admire and envy off of how amazingly you look on horseback; as well as any other time.

Next up, your dear friend Frodo. You know, it may not make things easier, but wherever he is, not only is he happy, but I bet he misses you. Without a doubt he’s going to be looking over you forever, making sure that you are happy and safe. I’ve gone through similar things that you have, but the worst is always the loss of a best friend. I also know that over time getting the same “I’m so sorry’s” and “I bet he’s in a better place,” can get slightly annoying or agitating; how could anyone know what it feels like, what you two had? How can they know if he’s better off? But just a small word of advice, don’t get tired of them. These people want to try and help you, and believe me, it’s not easy to sit and read a blog of your favorite equestrian day after day, wondering what’s going to happen to them, or even what’s gong on. These people are doing everything they can to tell you how much you mean to them, to express their deepest, most sincere condolences, and they are doing the instinctive thing everyone is born to do; try and help someone.

I bet Frodo loved you, and I can only imagine how much. Together, you two could have done anything, I think, and that’s also what has been such an inspiration to me and countless others around the world. If there is one quote that I think fit you two perfectly, it would be the following, without a doubt:

Tell us it can't be done, and we'll do it,

Tell us a goal is to high, we'll reach it,

Place obstacles in front of us, and we'll leap over it,

Challenge us, dare to defy us, But do NOT underestimate us,

For together, anything is possible

That’s the first thing I think of after hearing either your’s or Frodo’s name. You two looked so absolutely breathtaking together; a true team, something that many equestrians can only dream of having. I honestly can’t say I’ve ever seen someone “dance” like you two did during Dressage… it makes me question my own abilities, yet also gives me something to work towards, so thank you again for how much you’ve impacted the Equestrian World with not only Frodo, but you and everything you’ve given it, and even us.

If it helps the slightest bit, something that helps me after the loss of a great companion is to write them a letter. Tell them everything you’ve loved about them, everything you’ve thought about them, how you felt with them; everything. When you are done, you can say a small little “thank you” under your breath and light the letter on fire (or, if that doesn’t appeal to you, you can use your imagination^_^). I did this after the loss of my greatest friend (and steed,) Pocano, and though I might not be extremely religious, I felt like I was doing right, like I was saying something or giving him something that no one else could have, and that is one of the greatest feelings someone can ever experience.

I cannot wait to see you in the saddle again; that’s where it seems you belong. We will all be here for you, through future highs and lows, and please remember the lives you have changed just with your existence. You’re an amazing, truly gifted person, Laine, never doubt that.

Wishing for the quickest recovery,

Katie Stimac